The teacher
'Mangalore is a nice place, that's where I come from' she said as we turned to leave.
'Bye bye teacher' I said before walking away with my mother.
That was the last time I saw her- Ms. Vijaya, my primary school teacher. I was leaving the school that day, and the city the following week.
Twenty-five years after that day, I crossed the school gate again.
Official business brought me to the city after all these years. It was quite unexpected; one does not expect to visit that part of the country on business. Especially when one's business is setting up a new industry.
The chowkidar looked at me questioningly. 'School ends at 2pm, you will have to wait' he said.
I nodded and walked inside. The main building hadn't changed much, recalling shades of yellow from the days back then.
I spotted a board titled "Principal". Knocking on the swinging door that opened to the Principal's office, I waited to hear someone say "Come in", but there was no answer.
'The Principal is on her rounds. She will be back in half an hour' I heard a lady say. 'I am the vice-principal. You are?' she asked.
'My name is Edward Hyde. I used to study here a long time ago, early 80s' I replied.
'Oh, I joined here much later. You've come here to...?'
'I haven't come here since I left back then, so I thought of seeing how things are'
She smiled. 'I have a few matters to look into. If you can wait for ten minutes, I can show you around.'
'Sure.'
We must have walked around the place for twenty minutes or so. The nursery class had been modified into a mini-library. The kindergarten class was still the same. The seats had changed from tables and benches for two to single desks. The playground hadn't changed at all.
Then the bell rang. Suddenly the quiet was replaced by a chattering buzz of excited children leaving for their homes. The buzz died out once the last set of children left.
We were back by the door to the Principal's office. A lady in her mid-fifties was sitting behind the desk. She looked up as the vice-principal and I entered.
'This gentleman had studied his first three years in school here. He wanted to meet you'
'Please sit down... and you are?' the Principal asked.
'Edward Hyde.'
'The name sounds familiar, but I am unable to place you. What do you do?'
'I work in Bangalore now.'
'Oh... actually I am from Mangalore...'
I could not help interrupting her.
'It is still a nice place.'


1 Comment(s):
At 5/03/2009 6:16 PM,
J. Alfred Prufrock said…
Very nice in its economy of expression.
Especially the last line.
J.A.P.
Post a Comment
<< Return