Winning battles, losing wars
I like quizzing. So I joined a quizzing club in Bangalore when I moved from Madras. It had become such an integral part of me that I couldn't think of not continuing what I loved doing in Madras.
It was there that I first met him. He was the quiet type, or so you would think. Once he got used to a person, the real him would take centre-stage. A few months later, we realised what we felt for each other was more than just friendship.
But it hardly lasted long. I had finally gotten somewhere career-wise and wanted to concentrate on it. It meant moving out of Madras. He supported my decision, but could not move out as well.
A long-distance relationship is never easy. We parted ways a few months later. My last meeting with him was at the airport when I went to see him off.
A few years later, I was in Madras for a quiz contest. I didn't expect to see him, or maybe I was just fooling myself. He is an avid quizzer as I am, I reasoned.
The contest was well fought. My team trumped his by a few points. After the prizes were announced, I walked up to him.
'Hi' I said, extending my hand.
He hesitated before shaking mine. 'I didn't think you would come up and say hi' he added.
I didn't know what to say. There was a moment's silence when I heard a voice call out his name.
A moment later, a woman stood by his side, linking her arm with his. I looked questioningly at him.
He cleared his throat. 'This is Maggi... we got engaged last week'. After a pause, he turned to her and said 'This is Anna'.
'Oh' she said. From that terse comment, I gathered he told her all about me.
'We've got to go now, dinner plans you know' he looked apologetic. I nodded slightly and added 'I know' with a forced smile.
As they walked away from me, I knew that though I won my battle today, I lost the war.


0 Comment(s):
Post a Comment
<< Return