Hyde's tales

"Once upon a time, Hyde decided he could weave.
So he took to spinning yarn."

God save us all!


Monday, December 03, 2007

Two guys and a girl - Version 3

It was my first week at the new place of work. I was slowly getting used to seeing new faces, and they in turn were trying hard to get used to seeing me work from an odd location- the cramped area next to the office photocopier.

The team had expanded rapidly in a few weeks. The large influx of new hires had thrown a spanner in the administration's works. It was evident from their frustrated expressions as they struggled to find seats for newcomers.

It was in one of those days that I saw her. Having joined a year before me, she wasn't new to the place. But what worked against her was the year old assignment in the US- which meant someone else occupied her place when she was away. She and I have something in common, I thought to myself.

She had temporarily taken up place in the neighbouring training hall, but the nature of her work caused her to come into my hall a few times every day. Most importantly, to the part of the hall where I sat. Our eyes locked onto each other when both of us happened to look in the others' direction.

I began to look for ways to introduce myself to her, but the opportunity hardly came by. Fate, however, works in mysterious ways. After the seating re-organisation, we found ourselves sitting in the neighbouring cubicles.

What happened next was only natural. A week later, we were chatting like old buddies.

One day he came. The two of them worked on the same project when they were in the US. He had returned for a week, just to catch up on the situation here before heading back. And they appeared to be very thick friends.

That left me in the cold. A wave of jealousy burnt me every time I spotted them together. She was oblivious to it, denying me the chance to vent my frustration. It only made things worse for me.

He returned to the US a week later. And she left the company the following month. I had a feeling he would send his resignation from the US and join her wherever she was.

* * * * *


The memory had finished playing in my head when he walked up to me.

'So when are you leaving?' I asked, smiling. We were casual acquaintances and I had no reason to be jealous of him anymore.

'Tomorrow' he replied.

'And when are you returning?'

'Perhaps a few months later. Or maybe a few weeks! You never know when the fellows here want me to fly back just to appraise them of the situation there' he laughed. And then he asked 'When are you leaving?'

'The day after tomorrow' I grinned.

He smiled. 'Say hi to her for me... you have her number, right?' he asked.

I nodded. We wished each other good luck, shook hands and then he walked away.

I never thought I would be the one putting in my papers and joining her wherever she would be.

2 Comment(s):

  • At 12/10/2007 8:14 PM, Blogger H said…

    Wah Hyde! first time a happy ending from you!

     
  • At 12/11/2007 11:04 AM, Blogger Hyde said…

    Not really. "The co-passenger" and "The punishment", and to some extent "Inter-aisle love song" have had happy endings too. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Return