Hyde's tales

"Once upon a time, Hyde decided he could weave.
So he took to spinning yarn."

God save us all!


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The best friend's wedding

It was my best friend's wedding.

Rhea and I lived in the same neighbourhood, went to the same schools and even to the same college.

We knew each other inside out and would swap stories on school crushes or evaluate the other person's potential love interests while studying in college. We were never in love, at least that's what we told others.

But when we were finishing college, I realised I had fallen in love with her. And I never told her.

Not that I never had a chance, I never made use of the ones that came my way. Besides, we always told everyone we were very good friends. I was afraid to spoil the friendship we had, what if things went wrong after telling her?

The usual fear.

And that day, she was marrying a man she met at work. Her parents liked him, and his parents liked her. So there was nothing to stop them from going ahead.

I could only watch.

* * *

My father was hovering around, enquiring and making sure guests were happy. This wasn't a wedding in our family, but he felt she was his daughter as much as uncle's.

It was a sentiment shared by everyone in the family. The family also shared another sentiment- that my father and I would have more things in common. I don't know about my old man, but I certainly did.

I don't remember much of my younger days, what I do remember is the bond he and I shared. He was my Superman, there was nothing he could not do and he could do nothing wrong.

The teenage years of angst and rebellion damaged it all. We've all heard it before, haven't we? Things were never the same again between us. Clichéd, but true. The affection was there, sadly so was the emotional distance.

* * *

Presently my mother came and stood by my side. Nudging me, she whispered 'Look at your father, talking to his teenage crush'.

'Huh?'

I was surprised, a little shocked too. The old man had a teenage crush? I looked questioningly at my mother.

'I never told you, did I? She was your father's teenage crush- they grew up together. He never told her. She got married to someone else and went away. He doesn't know if she liked him just as much. I think she did.'

'I don't blame him for looking so happy on meeting her. I mean, she is still a stunner after all these years' I heard my mother say. I could not detect jealousy, wistfulness maybe.

* * *

I can never describe what went through me then.

I had always wanted to have something in common with my old man. Something other than looks or behaviour.

I wish it wasn't this.

3 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Return