Eternal sunshine of two spotless minds, Part III
A few minutes later they were seated across the hypnotist's desk, in his clinic as he liked to call it.
There was silence for some time, each willing the other to start first. The hypnotist cleared his throat and waited. Seeing no response, he began.
'You see, it is like this. I help people erase memories.'
He paused to see the effect of his statement. The man and the woman looked confused.
'Erase memories?' the man asked.
'Yes. People have different reasons to forget their past. I am sorry, some of their past. I have devised a technique that does just that. Using hypnotherapy, I delve into people's minds, make them talk about it and then remove it from their memory. I haven't seen it fail.'
'So far, so good' he added, rapping lightly on his desk.
'However, there is one issue. Once the treatment completes, the person begins to experience gaps in his memory. Understandably, he doesn't recall certain things, there is a sense of deja vu that he cannot explain...'
'Exactly! I have the same problem' the man interrupted excitedly.
'I know. One of my earlier patients had this problem. Luckily for her, I had forgotten to erase the memory of having met me. So when she met me a few weeks after her treatment, I was able to explain this to her. Then on, I resorted to leaving a card with my number in the person's purse or wallet before I began the treatment... which is how you were able to locate me' he smiled at the man.
There was silence for a few moments.
'So what memories did I want to erase?' the man asked.
The hypnotist fidgeted a little. 'Her memory' he gestured to the woman.
'WHAT!' they cried in unison. The hypnotist nodded his head.
'I couldn't believe it when I saw the two of you together... The two of you were in a relationship for some time till a few months ago. After mutual consent, the two of you decided to separate. But the memories were so strong that you couldn't stay apart. Nor could you reconcile. That was when I came in.'
He turned to look at the woman.
'You had heard about me through a friend of yours. We began the treatment. A few days later, while your treatment was going on...' he turned to the man, '... you came to see me for the same reason, aware of her reason to visit me.'
'The treatment ended and the two of you went separate ways. I never heard from either of you till today.'
'Didn't you experience the same problems as him?' the hypnotist asked the woman.
The woman hesitated. 'I did... but I did not have a card on me. I thought I should see a doctor, but I kept putting it off. When he described the card, I got curious and urged him to meet you. I never thought...' she trailed off.
There was a longer silence this time. Neither spoke nor moved. The hypnotist had to break the silence again.
'I don't know what to tell you. Quite a few people have consulted me, wanting to forget their past relationships, but never did any one of them get back again. Maybe the two of you are destined to be together, in spite of your differences. Relationships have their ups and downs, how you take it in your stride shows committed you are.'
Silence hung over them again. The man was the first to speak.
'I think we should leave now. Thank you for your help.' The man and the woman left the clinic quietly.
A few days later, the hypnotist walked down the street to the cafe. He spotted the man and the woman walking towards him. They didn't notice him, they were busy talking animatedly like lovers do.
The hypnotist smiled. 'This is what I call starting with a clean slate' he said to himself.
Concluded.


7 Comment(s):
At 8/13/2007 4:11 PM,
H said…
hmmm.
a more fairytale version of the original, but an enjoyable read, nonetheless.
At 8/13/2007 7:00 PM,
Hyde said…
Would you believe it if I said I haven't seen the film? :-)
At 8/14/2007 9:32 AM,
n.g. said…
eternal sunshine of the spotless hyde.
At 8/14/2007 9:33 AM,
n.g. said…
and btw
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhH
TUM YAHAN !!!!!!!!!!
At 8/14/2007 6:43 PM,
Hyde said…
Mai yahan aur har jagah! :-))
At 8/16/2007 2:14 PM,
H said…
NG, you here? hmmm. And I thought I was lurking in unknown territory.
Sorry, Hyde, meeting old friends in unexpected places is... umm. surprising? ;-)
At 8/16/2007 3:50 PM,
Hyde said…
I am sure NG had the same thought when he chanced upon my blog. :-))
Post a Comment
<< Return