Hyde's tales

"Once upon a time, Hyde decided he could weave.
So he took to spinning yarn."

God save us all!


Friday, March 02, 2007

The co-passenger

I boarded the coach to the airplane. Passengers kept entering after me.

A lot of passengers for a weekday flight to Madras, I thought to myself. Most of them were gentlemen dressed in business suits, a few young ladies in formal wear and a family or two.

I casually looked at the laptop carrycase next to me. On the right shoulder of a young lady, it had the letters D-E-L-L engraved on a metal badge. A Dell employee, most likely. I looked at the carrycase again and then glanced over my shoulder to look at the bag I had slung over it. If I went for the basic carrycase, probably this would have been the one.

My mind soon got occupied with the next day's interview. I mentally rehearsed answers to the questions I was likely to be asked. It somehow calmed me, unlike the last time!

My appointment was at fifteen minutes past eight the next morning. And I got there thirty minutes early.

As I gazed at the people around me, I noticed a young lady hurrying to join the queue. I thought she looked familiar, someone I had seen somewhere very recently. I hate such riddles, and they never leave me in peace.

I turned around to see how long the queue was. If she stood at the end, there would be at least 5 people between us... unless she moved forward because of an earlier appointment.

By the time she stood behind me, I remembered where I had seen her before. Do I start a conversation? Do I even dare?

'You were on the Kingfisher flight from Bangalore last night, right?' I asked suddenly.

'Why, yes' she nodded vigorously. The likely-Dell employee.

I smiled. 'I thought I had seen you somewhere'.

We got talking. I learnt in which Dell (bang on!) office she worked, where she was supposed to go once she got her visa and where she stayed. I even managed to peek at her form and learn her name.

All she knew about me was where I work. Somehow telling her my name never crossed my mind.

A few minutes later we were in. Even though her appointment was a good 15 minutes before mine, she stood behind me.

I finished my preliminary formalities and walked out of the line. The man in charge of maintaining order told me to be seated. A few minutes later, I saw him guide her across the room.

Dash it all! He had better take me where she is and pronto!

Five minutes later, he told me to stand in the line for preliminary formalities. Something I had already done.

'Then go across the room into the other building' he exclaimed. I didn't need to be told twice.

My mind screamed at me to run, but I managed to keep the urgency out of my rapid walk.

I looked up the ramp beside the neighbouring building and saw her looking at me. 'How do I get up there?' my eyes asked her.

Before she could say anything, another man came out and took her into the building.

'Is this line based on the appointment time?' I asked two people who were bypassed.

'They are taking people in at random' I was told. I waited for ten minutes, while others walked in merrily.

I lost it and took my chance. I opened the door and entered.

People were everywhere. Standing by a counter, standing in many queues or sitting in chairs. I saw everybody but her.

I was directed to the last queue in the room. She has to be here somewhere, I thought. I craned my neck to get a better view, but she was lost in the crowd.

Seconds were like minutes and the queue moved slowly. After what seemed like an hour, she moved out of the queue into another one.

'Erika!' I wanted to shout, but my throat didn't co-operate.

There were at least ten applicants ahead of me. I prayed fervently that they would move to other queues. Everytime an applicant came out of the queue, my heart leapt to my mouth. To be replaced with relief when I saw them join another queue. Twice I was denied the opportunity.

Finally it was my turn to join her queue.

I kept looking ahead, hoping she would casually turn back. She did.

Soon it was her turn to be interviewed. The interview was short; it hardly lasted five minutes. She had a big smile on her face as she turned to leave.

'All the best' she whispered as she went past me.

'Will you wait outside till I am done?' I wanted to ask in reply, but all I managed was a croak.

The rest was a blur. I was surprised I gave right answers to all questions. The power of the sub-conscious and all that, I suppose.

I went out of the building ten minutes later, but she wasn't there. She must be in her hotel room by now, I surmised. Time to get back to mine.

I knew she was taking the same return flight as I. I began devising a plan of action.

Six hours later, I was back at the airport. With a plan in my mind and a prayer on my lips.

'My friend Erika is travelling on the Kingfisher flight to Bangalore. Has she checked in?'

'Last name Sir?'

'Fernandes.'

'She has already checked in.'

'I would like to check-in as well. Is the seat next to her free?'

'Yes sir, it is an aisle seat, 10th seat from the exit. Is that alright with you?'

Alright with me? Ask me again, and I will say it more emphatically.

I replied with a measured Yes.

I proceeded towards the security check, keeping an eye out for her. She was nowhere in sight.

I found myself a seat that also doubled up as a checkpost. I started my laptop and kept one eye trained on other passengers.

'At work already?'

I looked up to see her standing in front of me. I suppose I am not that good at keeping an eye open for someone. I grinned sheepishly.

'I just started it' I replied lamely.

'A Dell laptop?' she exclaimed. 'How come a person working in IBM has a Dell laptop?'

'Hush! No one in the office knows about this' I winked. Time to change the topic.

'Where are you seated?' As if I didn't know.

'Window seat, 10th from the exit' she said.

'What a co-incidence! My seat is in the same row'. What a pretender!

We "checked" our tickets to make sure if we were sitting next to each other. What a charade!

'You know, I still don't know your name' she stated.

Heh heh. 'The name is Hyde, Edward Hyde.'

She rolled her eyes. 'Do you introduce yourself like that to everyone?'

The boarding gates were opened and passengers began to assemble.

We got up. 'Only to pretty girls' I said nonchalantly.

The flight was only for 50 minutes, but it felt like hours. We hardly realised when the airplane took off and when it landed.

I was uncharacteristically quiet when we waited to collect our luggage. If she noticed it, she didn't show it. Soon we were near the exit.

We located our respective chauffeurs almost simultanously. I turned to her.

'Erika... perhaps I am being too quick... I would like to meet you again... Coffee someday?'

She didn't reply for a moment and then... 'Why not!'

'Err... How do I call you? I don't have your number.'

She had a naughty look on her face.

'You know my name, you know where I work and you also know where I live. Surely you can find my number?' she answered with a wink and walked away smiling.

I grinned and turned towards my chauffeur, her words ringing in my head.

6 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Return