Hyde's tales

"Once upon a time, Hyde decided he could weave.
So he took to spinning yarn."

God save us all!


Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lover from another lifetime

He did not expect to see her there. He stood at the entrance of the temple, watching her pray. With a man and a young boy by her either side.

The husband and the son, he thought to himself.

The wheels in his mind began to turn as memories of the past flashed through his mind.

'I want to buy a saree as a birthday gift for my mother. Will you help me?' he asked her.

She was more than willing. She wanted the gift to be perfect. They ended up spending several hours at different shops before she chose a peacock-blue saree.

He knew he was falling for her as every day passed. And there was nothing he could do about it.

Till a few months later, when he offered to drop her home. That was when he knew he had to tell her. Otherwise he would never get the chance.

'I will be leaving for Bombay next week. And I do not know if I will ever get the chance to say this to you. I do not know if we will ever meet again. It is just that... I do not know how to say it.'

She looked at him, unsure of what to expect. He took a deep breath.

'Will you marry me?' The words came out in a flurry.

She did not say anything. Sadly, she shook her head.

That was six years ago.

Walking up to her, he asked quietly 'Do I know you from somewhere?'

She looked up at him. Bewilderment soon changed to a huge smile of recognition.

'Hi!' she said. In the same old way, he thought.

'How are you?' she continued.

'Am doing fine' he smiled. Turning to her husband, he stretched his hand to shake his. After a momentary pause, the man took his hand. The handshake felt reluctant. Perhaps he knows who I am, he thought to himself.

He looked at their son standing between them. The boy looked at him with curious eyes.

The air around them hung heavy with silence. Someone had to take the initiative.

'My parents must be looking for me', he said and added, 'It is my father's birthday today.'

'Good bye', she said with a smile and turned to walk out of the temple complex.

He moved towards an elderly couple waving at him.

As she walked out, she paused for a moment to look at him. She saw him walk towards a gentleman dressed in a white shirt and dhoti, and a lady dressed in a familiar peacock-blue saree.

9 Comment(s):

  • At 3/11/2006 1:29 AM, Blogger Prerona said…

    v nice

     
  • At 3/11/2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Deez said…

    lovely story, though i dont quite agree with ur choice of title.
    its all in the same lifetime always.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 10:53 PM, Blogger Selma Mirza said…

    i always wonder what it is like to meet somebody you know from the past, somebody you love - with another person many years later. it really makes me very sad.

    And then I see people exchanging partners, dumping one 'soulmate' for another, i wonder if i belong to these times...

    Love to me is Gibran.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 11:13 PM, Blogger Hyde said…

    Thank you, Pre. :-)

    Deez, I see it as another lifetime because they lead different lives now and both of them have come to terms with what happened in the past.

     
  • At 3/11/2006 11:17 PM, Blogger Hyde said…

    In today's fast paced world, people dump each other because all are in a hurry to find the perfect soulmate. No one realises there is no perfect soulmate; there are always imperfections that you must overlook for the perfection you see in that person.

     
  • At 3/16/2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Dhanush | ധനുഷ് said…

    Nice write up Hyde. Hurts someehere in heart when I look a couple of years back. Hmmm .. your last comment is even fantastic - There is no perfect soulmate.

     
  • At 3/16/2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Hyde said…

    Thank you Dhanush. :-)

     
  • At 3/29/2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said…

    I JUST bought a peacock blue saree!!! Invite me for your wedding n make it soon- want to show it off! :D

     
  • At 3/29/2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Hyde said…

    You might want to show off for another reason. My wedding aint happening for a long time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Return