Hyde's tales

"Once upon a time, Hyde decided he could weave.
So he took to spinning yarn."

God save us all!


Sunday, November 27, 2005

Made for each other

I was tired. I was exhausted by the demands made by relationships. I was drained out of life to remain alive. My living days were spent like a zombie, and the nights like a corpse in never-ending slumber.

My parents decided it was time they did something to pull me out of my self-inflicted abyss. Lines of communications were opened, relatives and well-wishers were sought. The message was clear and to the point- We need a groom for our child. It is time we did our duty as parents.

I wanted to resist, but my mind was no longer in control. Like a moth drawn helplessly to a flame, I went through the motions. The groom was a person I once worked under. He and I shared a good working relationship. I nodded mutely when Mother effused his good qualities and suggested I get married to him.

I do not remember how I managed to get through the ceremony. I do not know how I managed to smile for all the photographs or at congratulating attendees.

These thoughts were swirling through my mind as I sat on our wedding bed,waiting for him to arrive. He did not take long.

He shut the door behind him and smiled at me.

'All these years I was waiting for someone who could keep me happy. I never thought it would be you.'

'I hope you feel the same way about me' he added after a pause.

I did not know what to say. I had a sinking feeling I did something horribly wrong. As if my conscience had sprung back to life and demanded to know why I did whatever I just did.

'Why did I agree to this madness? Oh God, let this be a nightmare' I pleaded to myself.

I slowly turned to look in front of me. As I did so, I caught my reflection in the mirror.

Mocking at me.

'You are stuck in a gay marriage, my friend' it seemed to say.

2 Comment(s):

  • At 8/23/2006 10:42 PM, Blogger tanaz said…

    This piece has the potential of being a very very powerful story. But,
    a.) what the miorror says, could have been said better. It's just not got enough josh in that slap accross your face.
    b.) the begining, while describing your feelings, needs to add up. Why, how, where.
    c.) i don't get it, why would parents ever ever ever throw someone into a gay marriage

     
  • At 8/24/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Hyde said…

    It is a bad dream. And yes, it is my fault I did not hint it anywhere in the tale. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Return