Two guys and a girl
I climbed the steps to the mall and saw her standing behind the glass entrance talking to a friend.
We were classmates, having studied three years together. Once school ended, we went separate ways and some of us lost touch. Thankfully, technology had advanced and keeping in touch became a lot easier with the coming of the Internet. And today, we planned to meet.
She had said she wouldn't come. I was disappointed when I heard that. But when I saw her there, my joy knew no bounds. She looked prettier than she did in school. I remembered how I had a small crush on her back then.
But I never thought it would change to something deeper after 7 years.
All evening I tried not to stare at her. I did not want to make my feelings obvious. Things were made easy for me when the seating arrangement allowed me to sit opposite her. Everybody talked, everybody listened and everybody had fun while I dreamt about her.
Of how her hair would float in the air as she walked. Or of how she would toss her hair when in disagreement.
Of how we would discuss seemingly mundane things over coffee just to exercise our grey cells.
Or of how we would speak to each other using nothing but facial expressions.
Of how she would ride pillion as I ride with her into the sunset, her hands stretched out to feel the wind. Just like the ads on television.
Of how she and I would waltz in semi-darkness to soft music.
Or idle our time playing with words.
Of how she would understand me a lot and love me a little. While I try to love her a lot and understand nothing about her.
And then a thought. Are my dreams exorbitant?
When I was not dreaming, I had fun too, but it would have been better if... if I could just whisk her away on a black horse!
As evening led to dusk, the group began to part, promising to keep in touch. As I started my bike, I looked at her reflection in the mirror. She was speaking to the only guy left there, the same person she was talking to when I arrived. She casually brushed off a fly that hovered near her face.
I wish I could be that fly, I thought wistfully. I had to tell her how I felt about her. But is this the right time?
If I was that fly, I would have heard her ask, 'Do you think our parents will agree to us getting married?'
PS: Thankfully, this post also works as my response to a tag propagated by Parna the Great, second only to Harry Potter. Only 7 I know, but these should suffice.


12 Comment(s):
At 2/04/2006 1:38 AM,
Prerona said…
strange, reading this. maybe i'll tell u why sometime over messenger. well, i hope u find her. and love. and a lot of happiness.
and i didnt delete that post - i turned it into a draft. i dont remember why. it seemed futile i guess, like everything else. :@)
dont mind me, in a lousy mood
At 2/07/2006 4:00 PM,
Hyde said…
Yes, with some rework.
At 2/09/2006 4:27 PM,
Prmod Bafna said…
Nice piece of interestin story..! Maybe you could work on part 2 and take it further ;)
At 2/09/2006 7:01 PM,
Hyde said…
I did, some place else. :-)
At 2/14/2006 2:05 PM,
Rapunzel said…
confucious!
At 2/23/2006 1:53 AM,
Sudarshan. A. G. said…
The school ones always seem to stay...
Nice blog!
At 2/23/2006 4:05 PM,
Hyde said…
AGS, very true. I wonder why.
Chai, thank you. :-)
At 2/25/2006 2:18 PM,
Aditi said…
:)
sweet sweet...
btw, noticed how most of ur posts seem to deal with unrequited love...
At 2/25/2006 5:03 PM,
Hyde said…
Hangover, we call them. :-P
At 2/26/2006 4:07 PM,
Rapunzel said…
:(fine!
At 2/28/2006 2:09 PM,
Arunima said…
my first crush has passed away. sad!!
At 2/28/2006 2:18 PM,
Hyde said…
My condolences
Post a Comment
<< Return